WOD on the WAVES

Getting There

Take advantage of the warm weather and arrive to the Miami area a day or two before the cruise (January 19 or 20) so you can experience all that Miami has to offer. This will help you avoid missing the ship’s departure due to flight delays, cancellations or weather issues. Better safe than sorry!


  • Miami International Airport (MIA) to Port of Miami – 8.5 miles: 30 Minutes*
  • Ft. Lauderdale – Hollywood International Airport (FLL) to Port of Miami – 30 miles:  50 Minutes*
  • Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) to Port of Miami – 70 miles: 85 Minutes*


To the Port of Miami from South Florida area hotels:

  • Downtown Miami Hotels – approx. 5 miles or 15 minutes
  • Brickell Miami Hotels – approx. 5 miles or 15 minutes
  • Miami Beach Hotels – approx. 10 miles or 30 minutes
  • Ft. Lauderdale Hotels – approx. 35 miles or 75 minutes

* Please note that the above time and route calculations are approximate and can vary, especially depending on time of day. We STRONGLY encourage you to check traffic considerations before planning departure to Port of Miami. It’s South Florida – everyone wants to be here so expect delays. If you want to learn more about the Port of Miami, click here.

Whether you’re joining us from around the corner or across the globe, make your path to the ship as smooth as possible.

Passports & Travel Documentation

We’re sailing from the Port of Miami. You will need to have your cruise documents and government-issued photo ID (driver’s license or passport) ready when arriving at the ship’s security checkpoint. All guests must be on board BY 3:00 pm!  Miami airport is approximately 30-45 minutes from Port of Miami. Plan accordingly! Passports are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, though not required, for this cruise that sails roundtrip from the same U.S. port of call. Really, you have plenty of time. Go get one. Need help? Apply for one here. If you choose not to travel with a passport, you MUST have an original, raised-seal, state-issued (not hospital issued) birth certificate AND a driver’s license with you. The two documents must have matching names. If for some reason the names do not match (marriage, etc.), you will need a copy of a legal document(s) explaining why (marriage certificate, etc.).


  • Keep identification and cruise documents handy. Put them in your carry-on bag. Do not pack them in your luggage. You will need to produce these documents several times before boarding the ship.
  • Assist security. Heightened security measures at the Port help to ensure your safety. Please cooperate with security personnel to expedite boarding.
  • Tag your luggage. Complete and attach the luggage tags available for you to print after you complete the cruise line’s online check-in process. If you don’t have luggage tags, porters at the cruise terminal can provide tags upon request.
  • Carry valuables. Carry on any valuables, breakables, personal items and medications, along with your photo ID and cruise documents.
  • Follow signs. Digital directional signs with ship names and terminal assignments are updated daily.

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise for all guests. Even though a guest has completed the cruise line’s online check-in, it is still the guest’s responsibility to present the required travel documents at the time of embarkation. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund will be issued. Royal Caribbean International, WOD on the Waves, Landry & Kling and their agents/affiliates assume no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.

It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months following the cruise return date. Passports are required in the event you need to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss the scheduled port of embarkation or if you need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons. Traveling with a passport may also help to expedite your CBP clearance upon return to the U.S.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the WHTI compliant documents:

  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Birth Certificate issued by a government agency (original or notarized copy only – please note hospital issued birth certificates are not allowed) PLUS a government-issued photo ID
  • Original Certificate of Naturalization PLUS a government-issued photo ID
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (e.g., NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST), PLUS a government-issued photo ID
  • Form I-872 American Indian Card or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card, PLUS a government-issued photo ID
  • Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL), which is only acceptable at land and sea ports of entry and cannot be used for air travel outside the U.S. (The word ‘Enhanced’ must appear on the driver’s license. The following five states currently issue an EDL: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.)

Copies of U.S. passports/naturalization papers, hospital certificates and baptismal certificates are not WHTI compliant documents and are therefore NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The requirements above are for US citizens; non-US nationals may require entry visas in addition to their valid passports. NOTE! It is the responsibility of the guest to identify, obtain and present necessary visas before the start of their cruise vacation. Requirements vary based on the guest’s nationality. The laws that regulate the necessary travel documentation are subject to change and it is the guest responsibility to be aware of what is required for travel.

All Other Nationalities (Non-US Citizens) MUST have the following:

  • Passport from their home country.


  • Multiple entry United States visa (if applicable).

Travelers from the 38 Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries are required to obtain an electronic travel authorization prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the U.S. under the VWP.  Click here to find out if your country is part of VWP and what is required.

All non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders should contact their Embassy (Consular Services) for specific visa requirements, information, forms and fees for their nationality.

For more information on the documentation requirements, go to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.